Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Oct 1997 12:05:17 +0000
Comments:     Authenticated sender is <vwbus@mail.netbiz.net>
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@NETBIZ.NET>
Subject:      Re: Good head-s?
Comments: To: NIMOI@POSTOFFICE.WORLDNET.ATT.NET

> I'm replacing the heads on my '76 westy and have been doing some digging > about the steallite vale seat problem. I'm getting a bit confused about > the new vs.. rebuilt heads. Ron Salmon at Bus Depot says his rebuilds > don't drop seats period. I've heard that AVP rebuilds are not a good > investment. Someone else said that if the seats are installed with a > 0.014 press (heated head) - they won't come out, etc, etc. 2 new heads

I will not knock Ron here because I'm sure for every set he's sold he's been right but frankly I stand by my assesment, the '81 engine I bought from AVP featured a No 1. exhaust valve/head problem that clearly was not right from day 1. They have ignored my last email documenting that fact, it annoys me. This may be a 1 in 1000 event for an AVP head but has happened to me regardless on a very well babied engine. Mark Stephens originated this style of T4 head repair, both he and AVP use the exact same techniques and the same interference fit. They use slightly different seats I believe and Stephens does a little cold work peening thing after the fact which is probably worthless but has never seemed to hurt. Stephens is a bit choosier with cores something that probably bodes well. But to Jim I suggest he look for other problems as a new set of "VW heads" would not have dropped a seat so fast, but I also wonder where he might have got such an animal, much more likely they were AMC heads which will drop a seat in 10-15k in a heavily loaded or insufficiently cooled application. Anyway I would personally call Stehpens ask to speak to Bill I think and then AVP ask questions go with who you feel more comfortable with. I note you must not be disuaded by Stephens just because so many of his order takers are idiots, make sure you talk to one of them who knows what he is talking about.

> Also, can anyone give me advise on installing hydraulic lifters while I > have the "mouse wheel" out. - Is it worth it? Do I have to open oil > passages, install a bigger oil pump? Should I send the block out to a > pro?

Uh, you don't actually even have to take it out for the lifters, they drop in, you need different push rods, no engine mods (we are talking T4 here aren't we), as to whether or not you should change the cam and valve springs as well, opinions vary but a lot of people do the conversion anyway.

John vwbus@netbiz.net