Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:19:06 -0400
From:         John Graham <2jlg@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      VW oil filters - What's the magic?

I've been a 'list lurker' for about 6 months or so and have seen many testimonials on the value of using the 'official VW' or German oil filters. BUT I'd been successfully using ANYTHING that was listed as a reasonable replacement for my Vanagons UNTIL today. I decided to have my local VW dealer change my oil and filter since they had a price that was lower than the drive through outlets. On the way home, which included a stretch of 60 mph beltway, I noticed that my temp gauge was well below where it would have been yesterday!! The only thing that had changed was the oil and filter. The oil was about the same as before (20W50 Valvoline) but the filter was one of the 'approved ones'. My temp gauge set to the right of the LED - not something that I would have expected before. And I don't think that I've ever had temp problems. So I assume that the difference is the filter - what gives? What's in that thing? I'm beginning to BELIEVE. I asked the service rep about it just out of curiosity while the work was being done and he talked about multiple bypass systems etc.. So do tell - What's so great about the official filter or was I imagining things? John Graham '88 Westy Charlotte NC

[text/html]