Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:52:16 -0700
From:         Ed McLean <mcleans@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Dometic gas cooling problems

I've got the no cooling on gas but works OK on 120VAC problem with my Dometic refrigerator. The exhaust tubes are clear, the burner and jet (#24) are clean, the regulator is working OK (11.5"WC), the bypass orifice on the thermostat is clean, the burner lights OK, and the flame is a nice blue color but not real bright. the thermostat changes the size of the flame when it is adjusted. I also have the small 12V Radio Shack fan mounted on top of the evaporator unit inside the refrigerator. The external fan cycles some while running on gas but runs more while running on 120VAC.

The thing just doesn't seem to want to get any colder than 50 degrees (with 70 degrees outside temperature) while operating on gas although it will cool to 27 degrees F while running on 120VAC. What's going on? What else could I check?

I'm going to increase the circulation behind the cabinet with a couple of 3" Radio Shack fans in addition to the original fan. Does anyone know if it is possible to keep the fins on the back TOO cool for the system to operate efficiently?

Any suggestions?

Ed McLean North Carolina '86 Westi mcleans@earthlink.net