Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:34:59 -0700
From:         Tom Young <young@SHERLOCK.SIMS.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Using O2 sensor for fuel mix adjustment?
Comments: To: Johan Nyberg <johan.nyberg@sodertalje.mail.telia.com>

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Johan Nyberg wrote:

> Listees! > > I've seen references to using the O2 sensor present in some Wasserboxer > vans to adjust the fuel mix, or CO level, or whatever. As my '86 Digijet > Caravelle doesn't have one of those sensors, I'm thinking of using an > external one.

I know the earlier air-cooled L-Jetronic came in both "O2 sensor" and "Non-O2 sensor" flavors, but I thought all the Digijets had them. Are you sure you don't? Looking at the "Technical data and specifications" page of my Bently it talks about the O2 sensor for the Digijet, and it doesn't specify "California only."

> 1:st question: Which kind should I use? I can easily get one-wire, > three-wire and four-wire sensors. I suppose the ones with three or four > wires have some kind of heating element in them.

3-wire (I have no idea what the 4th wire in a 4-wire sensor does) since it uses 2 wires for heating and one wire for signaling the ECU.

> 2:nd question: Where should I put it?

It needs to be in front of the catalytic converter, as close to the combined exhaust as possible, in an air-tight port. You're talking welding here.

> > 3:rd question: How should I connect it, and how to interpret measurements? >

Signal wire connected to voltmeter. On a fully warmed-up car, properly timed, proper idle setting, etc. voltage should be around .5 volts. Low volts is lean, high volts is rich.