Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:34:00 PDT
From:         IR Student <irstudent@CAMPUSPO.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Speedo cable noise

Stephen, I had a similar noise coming form my speedo area. At first I thought that it was the cable but I was wrong. When I disconnected it from the speedometer unit it was silent. I found that the speedo gauge was making the noise. Not having the money to buy a new unit I went to work on pulling the old one apart to fix it. I found the noise went away when I sprayed a little WD40 on the magnet that is rotated by the cable in the gauge unit. As you look at the back of the gauge you'll see where the speedometer connects. A little off-center from that you'll see another area were you might be able to spray some lube through. I say "might" because I pulled the whole speedometer out of the console and then went to work on it. You may have to do this also. The only negative affect this had was now the needle on the gauge shakes a little bit at lower speeds. Other than that it makes no noise and I who knows how much money I saved. I'll pray for you on your adventure.

Blake Heinlein http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bhein/ '83.5 Westy "Toaster" California State University, Chico Mechanical Engineering Student