Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Oct 1997 00:40:37 -0700
From:         Robert J Ardo <rjardo@ONE.NET>
Subject:      Warm Idle Racing

Hi all...

I saw another message similar to my problem, but there wasn't enough info for me to figure out if our probs were the same. My '87 starts and runs fine when cold. While cold, the idle takes a second or two to settledown from 1500 to around 950. If it seems to be a bit high, I can ease out the clutch for just a second, and the load will pull it down, where it will stay just fine. Once the engine gets good and warm, the idle starts to behave rather odd. As I downshift when coming up to a light or whatever, the engine is forced to around 3000. As I stop and push in the clutch, the idle slows to 1000, then bucks up to around 2800-3000. If I then rev the engine to 3500, it drops down to 1000 for a second then bucks righr back up to 2900 again. If I ease the clutch out, the engine just keeps pulling. I have to sit at lights and either listen to the engine freerev at 2900, or use the clutch to keep the idle low (while sacrificing my clutch lining). I don't think it is the bypass valve, as I cleaned it and it has had no effect (also it works fine cold). I've checked the boots between the throttle body and the air flapper gizmo.

Any suggestions at all would be appreciated....

Thanks

RJ Ardo '87 Vanagon Weekender '68 Beetle AutoStick