Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 1997 12:05:06 EDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      Vanagon got smacked :-(
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

Hey all, Well, today started out pretty poorly.

I was sitting at a traffic light waiting to turn left. The light turned green and I pulled forward a couple feet but stopped to let the guy opposite my position come across as he was going straight and I left, so he had the right of way. All of a sudden SMACK, from the rear. The guy behind me had apparently not noticed that I was no longer moving forward and he hit the Vanagon.

Luckily he wasn't going fast when he hit me, as he was stopped behind me at the light. Also luckily I didn't have my foot securely on the brakes or else the impact damage would have been worse, but since the wheels were somewhat free to roll, much of the impact energy was expended moving my van forward instead of crunching the rear up.

Damage doesn't look too bad. The rear bumper is bent pretty badly, and contacts the rear apron. The bumper contacting the apron caused the apron to bend ever so slightly, but thankfully it has not bent to the point of contacting the exhaust, so there was no exhaust or engine damage. His car hit mine square on the bumper so the body wasn't messed up. The only body damage might be where the bumper contacted the apron.

He had one of those mid-'70s GM land yachts with the "protrusions" from the front, and it looks like one of the protrusions hit the bumper rather than the whole front of the car, so the bumper is bent in in only one place. It looks like this

where the <> is the impact and bumper dent. The motion of the bumper caused the left side end cap to break, so I will need a new one of those. The bumper is also now keeping the license plate flap from opening, so I can't check or fill the oil until I remove the bumper. But luckily, my sturdy Volks Cafe license plate frame does not appear to be damaged :-)

The guy was genuinely sorry about it and was pretty nice and the damage isn't severe so I guess I'm not as pissed as I should be. I told him I don't want to involve insurance unless I have to so we traded names and phone numbers and I got his license plate number just in case his phone number info was bogus. If it's not too awfully expensive to fix he just wants to pay for it himself rather than involving his insurance company.

Anyway, here's where I need help. How much should I expect to pay for a new bumper? What about repairing the old one? The old one was in really good shape before it got whacked. Also I'm going to need a new left end cap. How much do those typically run?

What about hidden damage? Is there anything I should specifically look for? I hope the bumper mounts are not bent, and he didn't hit me too hard so I'm not too worried about it. I will give it a more thorough inspection later, I looked at it briefly this morning; I didn't want to be late for class.

Any special things I should look out for? Any leads on new/used bumpers and end caps?

Any and all help will be appreciated, this is my first accident with actual damage so I'm new to this. Thankfully, it wasn't my fault.

Sean --