Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:02:58 EDT
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@WWW.MWC.EDU>
Subject:      bumper questions/specifics
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com

Hey all, OK, I've been doing some bumper research.

I can go two ways here: get original bumper straightened or get new/used bumper.

Advantage to fixing old one: original quality bumper as opposed to possibly cheap crappy aftermarket ones.

Disadvantage: can be kinda expensive, maybe more expensive than a good used one.

What do you all think? Can anyone give me specifics on price/quality? I notice motorworks has a bumper for Vanagon for $140. Bus Depot has a chrome one for $150 but no holes for impact strip.

I want the impact strip! :-) In fact, I think my existing impact strip is actually OK, it's just the bumper that's toast. I plan to re-use it. Should I get new clips for it or re-use the old ones?

I'm also gonna need new end caps, I suppose that will be fairly easy to get a hold of.

I could always go new bumper from the dealer, but that might be punishing the poor guy who hit me too much :-)

Please, opinions needed. I don't want to buy a used one sight unseen unless I know it's in really good shape (mine was in excellent shape). I also don't want to buy a new one if the chrome is crappy and it's gonna rust in six months.

Sean --