Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:28:01 -0400
From:         Ralf Kalscheuer <ralfk@POP.EROLS.COM>
Subject:      Intermittent loss of power famous stalling problem again

Hi Volks,

I am still dealing with that famous Vanagon stalling problem. Engine will just start fine and after 5 minutes run like a dog and black smoke is filling the air. I followed a couple of suggestion from other listies but I am still not able to fix it. Wife and kids are getting desperate because its their only vehicle. I am driving a 86 Golf which is a stick shift, however spouse doesn't like to drive stick.

Here are things I tried so far:

1. Put in a special noise reduction harness between the air-flow sensor and ECU harness.

2. Changed one temp sensor (blue) why change two?

3. Air-flow control unit (surface of resistance showed wear)

4. Ignition parts rotor, distri. cap, cables, and plugs (new plug turn black after 15 minutes).

5. O2 sensor

I thought that the problem was fixed after step 1 but after I put back my AC compressor trouble started again. First it was intermittent, running fine for hours and now the problem seams to be there all the time. I did extensive measuring on the Digifant ECU where I monitored most of the essential input data (even ran test points from the ECU to the outside of the unit).

Temp sensor resistance is working just fine follows pretty much the Bentley chart although the voltage level is under 1Volt going down even further when engine heats up. Before, stalling started usually after driving for 10 Minutes. Anyone can give me some hints on voltage levels for Pin 10 = temp.

Enrichment switch operation seams normal as well, 101 and signal reaches the ECU as well.

O2 input on pin 2 show a voltage level of around 800mV, which is the right voltage for a rich running engine (lots of Co2, looks like a stinking Diesel with defective oil scrapper rings).

When the air-flow meter unit was replaced, I did not make any adjustments. Is it necessary?

Throttle position changes of the air-flow unit are changing on pin 21 at ECU connector. Anybody have any voltage level here too.

In general it would be nice if someone did some measurement exercises on a working Vanagon Digifant ECU and make this results public for all Vanagoneers.

Checked all the grounding of the engine that looks alright as well.

I still don't believe that the ECU itself is bad, I opened it up and it look fine, but you never know. Since the ECU would be a major expense, you can imagine why I don't believe it is the ECU. I wonder if some guru out there ever tried to troubleshoot the DIGIFANT ECU and it associated input/output signals.

Again all tips and tricks are welcome.

If I can not fix it, I will convert to Weber IDE carbs I heard from people in Germany that they do that all the time because the Digifant fuel injection is grosse Scheisse (big shit).

Best Regards!

Ralf

Ashburn, Va