Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:30:07 -0500
From:         "Rick Sherrod (hopeless VW nut)" <kdf_cars@MYLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: 02 mixture questions

Tom Young wrote: > > On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Rick Sherrod (hopeless VW nut) wrote: > > > >>>rom: db25 <Douglas_M_BENSEN@UMAIL.UMD.EDU> > > Subject: O2 mixture questions > > > > >>>I have several questions when it comes to adjusting my mixture using the > > oxygen sensor. > > >>> 1. Do I have to disconnect the sensor with the engine off? The > > computer will have a memory if I don't. Does it matter? Can I > > leave the sensor connected to the computer to read the voltage? > > [snip] > > > You should be able to set your mixture just fine while > > connecting/disconnecting 02 sensor while engine is running. > > [snip] > > > Questions/comments? > > Rick Sherrod > > The Bentley (and others) are very definite about having the ignition OFF > when connecting/disconnecting the O2 sensor, not that that means they're > necessarily right. How are you so positive that it's OK to > connect/disconnect the O2 sensor with the engine on? > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Young young@sherlock.SIMS.Berkeley.EDU > Lafayette, CA 94549 '81 Vanagon > ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom,

I may be wrong, Tom. I've been wrong more times than I care to admit. If you feel more comfortable following the Bentley manual, continue by all means. I don't presume to change the way other skilled Mechanics work.

I wasn't quoting from the Bentley. I was giving advise based on my experience and the knowledge that the 02 sensor circuit operates on voltage supplied solely from the sensor itself, not from the computer. The computer only monitors the voltage present. This assertion from VW/Bentley may be there as a disclaimer to keep folks from hurting themselves in a running engine compartment or maybe to avert a voltage "spike" when connecting/disconnecting. However, on a circuit that tops out at about 1-2 volts I fail to see where a voltage spike would originate since the circuit without an 02 sensor installed carries absolutely no voltage or current. These computers are also much sturdier than they are given credit for in my experience. These computers also don't set fault codes or remain in fail safe mode when 02 sensors are reconnected, so no odd conditons exist after 02 dis/reconnection. If you have information about this that wasn't covered here please let me know as I am still always learning (the day that I don't learn something is the day they cart my sorry carcass to the morgue).

As a VW Audi mechanic I apprenticed my 30 year VW tech Father for seven loooong years. Now I'm on my own as a dedicated VW restorer. I find it much more enjoyable to fully restore a VW than to just do what some financially strapped owner can afford to do on a weekly salary. Too many of the customers from our old shop would limp around in their poor little VWs for years and when they landed a better-paying job they abandoned their trusty VWs and bought fancy late-model Toyotas and Hondas & such, their old restorable VWs would go to even poorer weekly wage earners. To someone who loves VWs the way I do, it is a heartbreak to watch cars be run into the ground like that year after year. I enjoy restorations & selling my work as completed VWs much better.

Thanks for dropping me a line, Tom!

Rick Sherrod Macon, Ga '82 Vanagon mutt '81 Audi 5000 Diesel 5spd '88 Fox 4dr 4spd