Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:19:00 PDT
From:         IR Student <irstudent@CAMPUSPO.CSUCHICO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: 84 Cooling System Problem

I have an 83.5 Westy that had all the same symptoms that yours had. I would be cruising downhill or just idling around and all of a sudden the temp would rise to the max and the red light would start flashing. I thought that maybe my thermostat was bad. I replaced it. That didn't fix the problem. I then thought that I might have an obstruction in my cooling system. Dropped out the radiator and flushed out the system with cleaner. I made a great effort to make sure that I "burped" the system well, (got all the air out of the coolant system). To do this lift the font end of the can by about 15 degrees and then open the cock-stop on the radiator and also on back by the engine. Run the engine at about 2500 rpm and ad water until it comes out of the radiator cock-stop. After all this I still had a problem. My van was dumping coolant out of the overflow tank. Not the pressurized expansion tank with the screw-on cap. It would fill the overflow tank and shoot out of the little breather hole on top of the tank when I had shut off the can or was just idling slowly. Bad new! :-( I went to a shop and they said as a last resort to check my expansion tank cap. That blue one with the threads on it and a hose coming out of it. I found out that the cap wasn't holding pressure at all. This was a great relief and I was glad to hear that the cap was only $14. I was getting ready to put new head gaskets on my engine or just rebuild the whole thing. That would be the worst scenario. I pray that's not your problem. I hope that some of this is helpful to you. I would recommend having you cap checked by someone else if the overflow problem continues.

My experiences. Blake Heinlein http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bhein/ '83.5 Westy "Toaster" California State University, Chico Mechanical Engineering Student