Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:59:20 -0600
From:         Eric Small <Eric_Small@SABRE.COM>
Subject:      Re: What is rpm @ 70 mph?
Comments: To: tony@moorelab.com

Tony Moore wrote to me: >hey eric, > >what kind of mpg are getting with your '86? > >tony

Tony, For 1992 I averaged 17.34MPG. In 1993 I put 15X7 wheels and 215/65 tires and immediately dropped to a 15.5MPG average. Of coarse this is only partially due to the larger tires as with the improved at-speed handling I naturally drove faster! When I moved to DFW, TX (reformulated fuel) in 1995 it dropped again to 15.0. I installed new injectors and O2 sensor this year and am now getting between 15.5 and 16MPG. My parents visited us here in TX a couple of weeks ago and he drove the van through several tanks at my 68year old dad's more leisure pace for an average of 17.1MPG. Needless to say I was subjected to a great lecture on the economies of driving more slowly... in one ear and out the other :)

I hear folks on the list talking about 25MPG... I dont know how they could possibly achieve this unless they are speaking of an imperial gallon. Even the EPA indicated that the van would get 17 city and 19 highway and they are usually optimistic.

Has anyone else got different results?

Eric Small Dallas, TX '86 GL