Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:06:49 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Yes, Synthetic Oil Again - cover leaks
Comments: To: Denys Mueller <Denys@IX.NETCOM.COM>

Denys,

You say "leak on the oil pump cover plate" - so look closer. The cover plate is of course sealed behind with a gasket, but the nuts also have to seal or it will leak at the nuts (inside the curled lip). The nuts are a special "sealing nut" that has a plastic seal on the inside edge which crushes into the stud threads when tightened. They will leak if not replaced after they are removed.

These do not come with the normal "full gasket kit" so the rebuilder may have reused them. If so you can probably remove them one at a time and replace them with new and fix your leak, without losing the seal at the gasket.

The nut is part #111 115 161 - same as for '68 up air cooled. RMMW lists them at $.50 ea - but must suppliers should have them.

Tom Austin