Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:50:42 -0400
From:         "John P. Stoneback" <jps@CATWOMAN.CS.MORAVIAN.EDU>
Subject:      Suggestions for location of CD changer (needed)

I have installed a CD changer under the rear seat of my '89 Westy. As I contemplate purchasing and installing a propex heater, I am looking for ideas where other folks have installed same. The space under the rear seat is quite nice. I have my unit upright so I can slip the cartridges in easily. It's been a long time since I did this installation and I can't recall if there is enough space on the side where the ECU is. I know I was worried that having it jambed against that might be a problem. Any experience with that location?

As we all know, space in a Westy is at a premium so I hate to use up cabinet space. The wire supplied with the unit is just long enough to go from the radio to the changer so placing it further to the rear would necessitate finding a longer cable.

In case it is of interest, I mounted the amp directly behind the passenger seat bolted to the battery "case" (appropriately hidden with a box covered in grey formica to match the decor of the Westy). I also replaced the rear speakers with 6x9's also covered in neat grey to match the interior. I replaced the original wiring to the rear speakers with substantial 12 gage. Both looks and sounds great.

There must be some creative ideas out there. Please share them.

John