Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:51:56 -0700
From:         David Bayer <bayer@SYBASE.COM>
Subject:      heads

Hello- Well, after camping in tahoe this weekend (it was 21 degrees F or so the weather people said), it looks like I have developed a head leak on the right side of the van (I recently resealed the flange and had seen a bit of rust discoloration on the head at the gasket). Pulled the push rod protectors and low and behold the gasket had a green drip waiting on it...

I know some of you have been down this road using many different means to fix it...

I know stuff like Bars Leak isn't a long term fix, but has anyone used it? How long it last (I suppose both mileage and months would be most helpful). I was trying to track down one of two remaining possible solutions to swapping a TD, TDI, or gas inline 4 into the bay of my syncro - if it wasn't for that damn starter motor, this would have been solved long ago...

For those who have redone the heads - how much time can I expect to spend stripping down the fuel/air system, the exhaust (which may be developing cracks - eekkkk), etc. I don't think I can afford a set of new heads and was hoping some could tell me how long AVP usually takes to do their welding thing if you drop the heads off? And I remember someone posting about a cermics shop on the Oregan border with California that coated the surface which mates with the case... Are you still around?

This is a syncro, the PO had had phosphate full antifreeze it in, which I am going to grumble about now.

dave