Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:36:13 -0400
From:         Matthew Bulley <GMBulley@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oil press. warning buzzer
Comments: To: MLJara@lbl.gov
Comments: cc: burma@compuserve.com, svmktsec@us.ibm.com, james_lamm@merck.com,
          DORIAKRMAN@aol.com, bbulley@mail.sandi.net, jbremmer@wlgore.com

In a message dated 97-10-17 13:22:25 EDT, MLJara@LBL.GOV (Martin Jara) writes, but I have shortened:

<< The oil pressure warning buzzer/lamp in my westie comes keeps activating (with) the proper level of oil in the engine. ...it's almost a daily occurence...it keeps buzzing and blinking for a couple of minutes then stops... the gauge indicates 0 pressure but as soon as the buzzing/blinking stop the gauge goes back to normal. I'm tempted to disconnect the buzzer as it is so annoying. Any suggestions? >>

Flame me if i am wrong folks, (I'll be on vacation, so I won't know), but it sounds like a real oil pressure problem.

First off, try using a REAL VW oil filter (Mann?), especially if you are using a Fram filter. Some folks, (and I ain't one) believe that Fram filters were made by the devil and are distributed by his minions to spread evil in the otherwise Holy Vanagon hoard. Certainly there are plenty of stories on the list to back up this opinion. Try a VW Dealer issued filter.

If that doesn' aliviate the problem, consider the grade of oil you are using... not how well it studied for a test like A, B, or C, but how thick it is...20W-50, 10W-40, 5W30, etc. Thinner oils in a hot climate *might* cause this problem.

If all that doesn't fix your ills, have an honest-to-God oil pressure test run at a reputable shop. You may have a stuck oil pressure relief piston, or some other mechanical failure that your little annoying buzzer and gauge are TRYING to warn you of.

IN ALL CASES, DO NOT IGNORE THESE WARNING SIGNS...AND DON'T DISCONNECT THE GAUGE OR WARNING LIGHT. These are your safety net. Without oil pressure, your expensive motor becomes a cheap core charge. Great sadness.

Best o' luck,

gmbulley cary, nc