Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 2 Oct 1997 17:09:12 -0700
From:         "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      CAT HEATER INSTALLATION IN VANAGON

With respect to Blake's question: I have 5200 btu Platinum Cat in my '90 westy .Used it for many years without a problem. I love the heater. Since it is vented, it does not release any fumes into the van. It's efficient, reliable, safe, and quiet. It is not a forced air heater. It works by convection, which also keeps it quiet and the current draw to a minimum. It has made camping possible year-round. Current draw is only "0.5" AMP for the exhaust fan. Equal to a miniature light bulb. The heater comes with a thermostat, so it shuts off . Just like in a home. It is very efficient, but effective. The 5200 btu uses 1/4 pound hr, 3000 btu, uses1/8 pound hr. But remember, the heater cycles on and off. I like the big one. Ours runs off the camper propane tank. I went to a marine heater store, the kind that sells boat heaters. They were very helpful. Had all the fittings and the propane hose. Special fittings need to be installed on both ends of the hose. Consult a professional before you start. Or better let them do the work, if you can talk them into it. Liability, codes, etc. I had to do it myself, for that reason. These are not instructions to follow, but might help a professional . This is how my heater was installed: I have an additional tee fitting on the exit line from the tank, where the pipe for the stove and the heater are connected. Screw in a small shut- off valve, to which you connect the hose for the "Cat". Be careful not to kink any of the propane tubing. Use approved sealant on all the fittings. Don't make any sharp turns with the hose. I routed the hose along the cross-member under the fuel tank to the other side, where the heater is to be installed. Use lots of professional grade cable ties. Protect the LP hose from any abrasion and impact. My heater is behind the front passenger seat, facing the back. I fabricated a 1/2" oak plywood board, and fastened it against the back of the batt. box. Use only short screws, don't drill into the battery. Dull any sharp edges. The board has to be somewhat bigger than the heater itself, to protect the unit and to help reflect the heat. Mount the heater against the board, 2" off the floor. Check the manual for proper spacing. Also made a shield for the floor, to protect the carpet from heat and the heater from hair etc. that might otherwise be sucked up into the unit. Shield is about 6" by 14" or so. Now the tricky part. This is very important. The "cat" has to be at least 9" away from the lower door jam. The exhaust on my heater exits on the right side of the heater housing, about halfway up. It is possible to change the exit for the vent on the heater. There has to be enough space between the heater and the doorjamb, to route the exhaust vent through the floor. Straight down, next to the right of the heater. You need at least 9", since there is a frame member under the sliding door opening, which must not be damaged. Also stay away from the frame for the floor- jack. The certified installer has to drill 2 holes. One 1 1/2" for the vent, and one 1" or so for the propane hose. Hold the heater in place, before you drill any holes, so you know where the fuel line and the exhaust have to exit. Be sure there are no vital organs in the way , like fuel line, fuel pump, wiring. Then mark the center of those two round openings, that you want to cut out, with a small drill bit. Look under the car to check that you have enough space to widen those holes. Now mount the "cat" to the board, so the openings for the LP and for the exhaust are in the right place. Pull the other end of the LP hose from under the car through the small opening in the floor.

Important: Make sure you install a grommet around the sheet-metal in both openings. The LP hose and the exhaust vent may not rub against the sharp edges, or they could be damaged. That could be dangerous. Fasten the brass fitting of the LP hose to the heater. Make sure the installer uses teflon sealant. The stuff that is like a paste, not the tape. Align the heater again, if it moved while installing the hose. Now, run the vent hose around the "cat", but against the board, down through the big opening in the floor. Direct the vent hose under the vanagon to the back of the car along the frame under the door. My vent goes back about 30". Make sure the installer runs it far enough away from the fuel filler. Any warm vent line should be kept a minimum distance from the fuel filler. Check in the codebook for LP installations .Make sure there are no low spots for water to collect in the vent. Again, use lots of cable ties to fasten the vent to the lower frame-member. The ones you can use sheet metal screws with. Tell your installer to use electrician's putty to seal around the two openings through the floor. Oh boy, now comes the electric hook-up. Electric is fairly simple. Just follow the instructions in the "cat" manual. Run a hot 12 volt wire from the battery or other source to the "cat". Make sure your installer puts in a " Inline fuse" 10 Amp or so that is easily accessible. Hook the hot wire up to the heater and ground the heater. Then hook the heater up to the thermostat. My thermostat is on the same board the heater is mounted to. Experiment to find the best location for the thermo. Use soap and water to test for leaks in the propane line. When the installer turns the heater on, make sure it pushes enough air through the vent out. Hold your hand against the exhaust. You should be able to feel warm air coming out. If exhaust is blocked, the heater turns itself off. Things to consider: Have the installation done by a professional LP installer. ONLY USE MARINE GRADE FITTINGS AND HIGH PRESSURE HOSE. RATED FOR USE IN LP INSTALLATIONS. Make sure the heater is far enough away from the outside wall, so the installer can route the vent out of the right side of the heater and down through the floor, and not damage the frame and cross-members under the vanagon. Make sure the installer uses grommets to protect the LP hose and the vent pipe. Make sure he or she uses Teflon paste on all fittings and checks for LP leaks. Good idea to check for leaks once a year anyway. Have the installer put in a separate shut-off valve, that you can turn off if the unit is not in use, like in the summer. Use common sense. LP can be very dangerous stuff. Don't underestimate it.I understand that there are different ways to install a "cat". Hope this might be of some help to you and others. To achieve vented heat in a vanagon is very difficult, since the space is so small. Take care. Harald, '90 westy.

Disclaimer : I cannot be responsible for the content of this letter, since I am not a trained LP technician. I might have made some mistakes; you have to follow your own judgement, if you decide on such an installation. I only told you about the heater in my vanagon westfalia, and how it works. I advise any interested party to consult a professional installer.