Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:18:42 -0700
From:         Ron Lussier <coyote@ZUNI.LIKEMINDS.COM>
Subject:      Re: CCC vs. CCA?
Comments: To: Chris Barrett <barrettchris@YAHOO.COM>
Comments: cc: vanagon@zuni.likeminds.com

Chris Barrett <barrettchris@YAHOO.COM> writes: > Martha writes: > > This subject came up recently, so it occured to me > > I should clarify for the "newish" members of the > > CCA's, and/or people who have not actually gone > > camping with our group, or at least for not a long > > time. > > > > Some time ago, the group of people camping in > > California split and formed 2 branches. You are > > receiving this mail from our group, the CCA's > > (California Camping Anarchists). We are the ones > > who are a bit wild and crazy. :) In the past, > > we've been known to experiment with burning > > magnesium, fireworks, etc. We eat hot, spicy > > food, and drink a LOT of homebrew on most> trips. :) > > > > The other group is the CCC's, and seems to be more > > focused on environmental sensitivities. > > "Membership" is not exclusive to either group; > > we simply have separate trips, separate mail, > > different areas of interest. If any of you feel > > you would rather be subbed to the CCC's list (far > > more politically correct than we are :), let me > > know, and I'll be happy to give you the address > > you'll need to join that group. In that event, > > let me know if you wish to remain on our > > groupmailings, either way. > > > > /martha > > busgirl@netcom.com > > Why are there two groups of Vanagon campers in California? > Can't we just all get along?

I wish we could. The CCC is really Martha's group... I just manage the mailing list. I've been trying to reach her without success to try to get the groups back together.

The split occurred several months ago when one woman asked Martha to stop burning plastic bags in the fire pit. (This is second-hand, I wasn't there at the time. I heard what happened from Martha.) Martha resented being told what she could or couldn't do, especially from someone who was fairly new to the group.

After the camping trip, the discussion about the health effects of burning plastic continued on the mailing list, and unfortunately heated up. Everyone (myself included) said things that they regret. I disagreed with Martha, and she told me that she 'and others' would never camp with me again.

Now, I really like Martha. I think she's a fun and wonderful person. She once told me that I was her best friend on the Vanagon list, and I miss her. (Though I question the depth of a friendship that can't stand disagreement...) I'll keep trying to work things out between us. I've asked to be in the CCA mailing list, but haven't been added.

Now about the CCC. We're not really 'focused on environmental sensitivities'. We don't burn plastic in the fire because there are young kids in the group and a doctor told us that burning plastic would do them harm. We're politically correct, if that means that we're a diverse group that respects one another. We're of mixed races, sexes, sexual orientations, and political parties. If this makes us 'politically correct', we'll live with that.

We camp, drink, make campfires, s'mores, and Jiffy-Pop, and tell dirty jokes (when the kids are in bed.) We love our busses, and we respect one another. Our mailing list is open to everyone, and you can subscribe by sending mail to 'ccc-request@vanagon.com' with the word 'subscribe' in the body of the letter. Our mailing list is unmoderated.

That's it. I hope that we can get along.

Coyote -- /\_/\ ____ Ron 'Coyote' Lussier ( ) \ _/__ LikeMinds (415) 284-6972 \ / \X / "Tools that Help People Decide" coyote@likeminds.com \_/ \/ http://www.likeminds.com/