Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Oct 1997 01:26:29 EDT
From:         Jim Thompson <uvx196@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: WTB Knarly Spark Plug Wire Set

Mark -

In my experience and in my opinion, Ignition Wires should be replaced on the average of every 5 years, because of wear from being subjected to the heat of the engine, every two years on their Air Cooled predecessors. Of course when shorts appear like what you're having, it is definitely time to have them changed. Bosch makes the OE Replacement Wire Set with the Metal Shields and Brass Connectors just like the original Bremi that were originally equipped on all Wassers (I sell 'em for $63.00) - Bosch # 09272 or my number 025-9802. Sure you can get just the wire (7mm Silicone I believe), but I tried to do that but had a devil of a time changing the connectors over - gave up and just bought a new Bosch set. If you like frustration, do it that way <grin>.

FWIW, I currently use wire zip ties on my 2.1 and have had no problems, with or without water on the engine. But then again, they're less than a year old.

Jim Thompson Sherwood Automotive * The Old Volks Home http://www.oldvolkshome.com jim@oldvolkshome.com (916) 221-5342 84 Westy 2.1 * 62 Beetle Sedan * 90 Fox Wagon

On Sat, 18 Oct 1997 16:34:16 -0400 mark keller <kelphoto@BRIGHT.NET> writes: >I have noticed a tendancy of my current wires to short when wet. I >also >heard a arcing spark the first time I washed the motor. Of course this >was >was more agressive engine wash, but the plug wires gave up again. > >I currently have wires with VW part numbers on them. Metal jackets on >the >plug leads, and neato brass clips at both ends. > >Any chance of just replacing the "wire". > >Any recommended aftermarket, or just get em replaced with OEM? > >BTW has anyone seen a plug kit that tends to do a better job of >"insulating >the wires" from false signals. Seems that the current wire tie job of >securing the wires along their route is a no no in my book? > >Comments? TIA > >A relieved Mark Keller >91 Carat WLE >Lazarus, not a swimmer yet! >