Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:04:41 -0700
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@SDSC.EDU>
Subject:      Vanagon List Back OnLine

My apologies to this list for the interuption in service. Thanks to Joel and Jon for pointing out the list was down. Apparently someone decided to rearrange some of the desk-top machines on the table that 'gerry' (our list server) resided on (in the machine room). I wasn't aware of the rearrangement, but as soon as I walked onto the floor and saw that Gerry was moved, I knew what had happened. Machine movements happen all the time. But this is the first time that the system has crashed and no one bothered to let me know. I'm ticked to say the least.

The system is currently working, but everyone be forewarned that I'm going to take the system back down early Wednesday morning, October 22, starting around 5 am (Pacific Time). It should be back up about 4 hours later. I'm going to give Gerry a thorough physical and systems check-up, check the archives, and get our list web server working. Yes!, we have a list web server as part of our systems package. We'll let everyone know what's happening on this score once the vanagon list "executive board (that's me, Ron, and anyone else who bothers to voice an opinion) decides what we are going to web host (Bob Hoover's Sermons, list archives, repair manuals, technical guides, etc. ?)

Chris Vanagon List Co-Admin

San Diego Supercomputer Center P.O. Box 85608 San Diego, California 92186-5608 (619) 534-8370 (office) csmith@sdsc.edu