Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Oct 1997 23:41:59 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Best Rebuilt Engine?
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>

Steven,

This summer I got a rebuilt 2.1 from Fast German Auto. Also got a clutch kit. It came complete with resurfaced flywheel and clutch installed. These have new (AMC) heads, which have been great on my other van for 60,000 miles. The FGA engine runs fine, but has never sealed up on oil consumption even with very careful break-in and about 5,000 miles - still more than a qt per 1,000. No external leaks or other problems.

I'm rebuilding the old engine myself, and will swap back when I have the time. The bottom end checks out fine - as did my '87 when I rebuilt it a few years back. The '87 now has over 160,000 with good compression & strong running, but oil consumption has gone from qt/7500 to qt/3000. (I didn't replace rings, pistons & cyls as they looked almost new at 120,000.)

On my current rebuild I'm leaving the case intact with the old bearings (experience says they'll last another 100,000 on synthetic oil), but putting in new pistons&cyls & heads. (Bus Depot) To me this is a fun job, and I'd rather do it myself than trust even the best shop.

If you don't split the case (waterboxer cases are pretty strong & trouble-free if driven "reasonably") this isn't tough at all - just follow Bentley.

This engine is out of my '91 - which also ALWAYS used more oil than I liked (qt/2000). I suspected a mis-fit piston, but all check out fine EXCEPT ring gaps were closely lined up at the bottom. No measurable wear or scoring on these too, so don't automatically replace them. (I assumed the worst.)

One thing I'd do differently: Mark Stephens now offers rebuilt 2.1 heads - including big valves, port & polish for less than new AMC stock heads. With Vanagon F.I. this should directly give more HP.

Tom Austin