Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Oct 1997 21:41:44 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: propex heaters (again)
Comments: To: "Blake C. Thornton" <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>

Hi Blake:

I have one of the smaller cat platinum heaters. i do not know much about the propex...is there any info anywhere onthe web? Is it really a great heater for the westy?

i find the cat plat to be great because it draws almost no power and uses only 1 lb. (1/4 gallon)of fuel every 8 hours or so. I have camped in the tetons in january at 6 degrees with an uninsulated poptop in the up position, and although it was cold up top, it remained about 50 degrees in the main cabin. If its just cold or in the 20's, it stays in the upper 60's in the main cabin...nice and toasty. I have not had to use a second battery. Also, i have not permanently installed the heater. i only load it when its gonna be cold...i made a special box for transprting it that i stash beneath the lower bunk (when reclined) or in the cargo bay in back. I slip an insert into the drivers' side window through which the vent tube is attached. It has a thermostat, too. it takes less than 5 minutes to set up. do you think a propex is that much of an improvement?

steve (who is asking far too many questions, but cannot resist for now)

'89 syncro westy san francisco