Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 1997 02:17:14 -0400
From:         Jim Davis <SyncroHead@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dual Fuel Tanks in a Syncro!?
Comments: To: malchik_2@hotmail.com

In a message dated 97-10-20 12:58:20 EDT, malchik_2@hotmail.com writes:

> Because I didn't install the extra tank and because this skid plate > obscures the lines, I can only tell you that the front tank (non-syncro > one) must be pumped into the rear. All fuel is fed from the rear tank > to the engine. I have to flip a switch on the dash to pump the fuel to > the rear. The front tank has its own pump for this purpose. > The tanks are filled independently. The front tank is set up just like > on a non-syncro usig the same filler and tank (I presume). <snip> > The PO said it takes 15 minutes to pump the front one dry. But how do I > know? Does it hurt to run a pump dry for five minutes or so? More to > think about.

Running a fuel pump without fuel would likely eventually cause a problem. They're typically cooled and lubricated by the fuel.

> As far as I can tell, the tank has not impacted the ground clearance > situation - the propane stuff still is the low point.

Wow! My Syncro is not a Westy, so the lowest point is the skid bars under the transmission/engine area. I suspect the front tank may be lower than that, but it doesn't sound like as big detriment.

Adam continued:

>It looks like I better get that skid plate off and get some real anwers. >The PO said it was a 2wd tank and holds something like 17-18 gallons >which sound about right for the 2wd tank.

Tanks from 2WD Vanagons hold 15.9 gallons. The Syncro tank holds 18.5 gallons. To tell when you've pumped the lower tank dry, I'd just watch the fuel gage in the rear tank and see that it rises by about 15.9/18.5 or about 7/8 of a tank - or from 1/8 to full. Having said that, if it were mine, I'd still be looking for a gage for that tank too. I suspect that (as you speculated) there is a way to wire both sensors in parallel and use a switch to select which tank is displayed.

Regards, Jim Davis