Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:47:14 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: heads - anti-corrosion
Comments: To: Todd Francis <tbf@PACIFIER.COM>

Another possibility I've been meaning to try is "Tufram" - a hard-coat anodizing with TFE infusion that I believe was developed by American Magnaplate for NASA. It makes aluminum amazingly corrosion resistant, hardens the surface, repels about anything and is wear resistant to boot. I've used it in several designs for "emergency" equipment in industrial environments, and it has already been used on cylinder heads for 2-cycle engines. On heads a plus is the combustion chamber surface stays clean with minimal build-up. While the anodizing wouldn't coat all the interior coolent passages as strongly, that's usually not a high corrosion area.

I think if Mark Stephens were to do this to their heads and then put in valve seats by their process you would have heads that would last as long as the car.

Tom Austin, TX