Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 21 Oct 1997 13:35:09 -0700
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Questions on your cat heater?
Comments: To: vince_pappalardo@om.cv.hp.com
Comments: cc: Redwood <redwood@speedlink.com>

Vince:

i do not have the exact dimensions with me, but the heater is about 10" x 14" x 3''. it is designed to be installed in a wall or box. i built a frame with two leg-like things on the bottom to make it free standing. i either just prop it on the steering wheel, or i set up the front table so that it is basically over the driver's seat (with the seat rotated) and place the heater on the back end of the table. there is still plenty of room on the table to use it as a counter for cooking, etc. you can really put it anywhere, including the floor.

I made an insert for the driver's window the length of the window and about 6" wide out of 2" thick styrofoam (heavy duty) and formica (sandwiching the styrofoam) for the exhaust vent. I drilled a hole in it and permanently attached the exterior vent contraption (kind of like the one for the refridgerator) to the insert. When I use the heater, i just lower the driver's side window, insert the insert and close the window on it to make a tight seal. then i connect the vent hose from the heater to the exhaust port on the insert.

the cat plat is incredibly stingy with power and gas. i think it uses .4 amp or something as the fan is only used to vent the spent gases, not to blow out hot air. the heater radiates heat rather than blowing it, which is why i like to position the heater at a higher level. it gives off heat the same way a fire does.

i use a 1 lb. gas bottle (about $1.65), which usually lasts about 8 hours with the heater on nearly the entire time. (I have not gotten around to running a line directly to the main propane tank and i actually like having the option of using a separate gas source for heat) i have let the heater run 16 hours or more without starting the engine...no problem. however, whether you can do this will depend on what other electrical stuff you use and the condition and quality of your battery. a second battery is a good idea unless your primary battery is one of the deep cycle batteries that can be drained and charged all the time. the battery i used (just replaced it) was a standard piece of junk that lasted me 3 years even though i abused the hell out of it. i plan to add a second battery, not because of the heater, but because of other appliances i am adding such as a small tv/vcr for the kids, additional reading lights, laptop ports, etc...

the cat plat costs about $300. it comes with all wires needed, a thermostat, and all necessary hardware. i built the frame and the insert for the window for the exhaust hose. installation took me about 4 hours, most of which was spent on the frame and designing and building the window insert. now, it would take me 1.5 hours.

it is a completely different type of set up than the propex. the benefits are portability, no need for permanent installation, the most efficient in terms of power and gas consumption, it gives off a really nice quality of heat, it produces no carbonmonoxide or other toxic gases (only water vapor and carbon dioxide tht are vented outside), it has no flame, no gas smell, cannot start a fire (unless wires short), cannot cause serious burns, keeps the lower cabin in the bus warm even when it is 15-20 degrees out, and keeps the mositure level in the bus way down since it is always venting (the air quality inside is noticably better when the heater is running than when it is not). in fact, my windows usually have little or no condensation on them inside in the morning. you can also use it outside if your bus breaks down and you need heat while working on it, or if you have a side-tent. also, the company that manufacturers it is great...they treat customers well and will answer questions and provide diagnostic help over the phone. (the cat platnium is a far superior design than other catalytic heaters i've seen)

the down side is that it does not instantly heat the bus, it would not make for as nice a permanent installation as the propex, it is not powerful enough to heat the upper bunk in sub freezing weather much higher than about 40-45 degrees, and even less as the temperature outside drops. Also, installation work is required, even if you use it as a portable as i do. (i would go with the propex if you want a premanent installation)

it does a fine job for me here in northern california and during my two or three annual camping trips to harsher winter climates. the propex seems to be more like a mini furnace than an auxillary heater. i finally found a picture of the propex and am very impressed, although i wonder about utility consumption, noise and the quality of the heat (dried out sinus, etc). the cat plat is not in the same league....and if you can afford it and have the time to install it, the propex seems like the better way to go (assuming it does a good job of heating the interior to a comftorable level at cold outside temperatures), unless you want a semi-portable heater that you only take along when you need it.

I can get the name and phone numbber of the company that makes the cat-plat if anyone wants it

steve '89 syncro westy san francisco