Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:49:03 -0900
From:         Jeff Hartman <jhartman@PTIALASKA.NET>
Subject:      heads leaking?

Greetings, I have reviewed some of the archives and the vanagon web page concerning head leaks. I am still confused about whether my next repair nightmare is going to be gasket and/or head replacement. As the wet whether has cooled into the 40's here in Juneau, my 86 vanagon is pumping out lots of white water vapor for several minutes after each startup. As soon as I drive for a mile the emissions turn clear.

I do not see any sign of coolant in my oil. I am only driving 10 or 15 miles a week, but do not notice any loss of coolant. The engine idles and performs fine. I've had 2 pressure tests in the last month, and the VW dealer and other repair shop have not mentioned the possibility of a head leak. My local garage says that Vanagons are notorious for producing lots of vapor in cool weather, and they did not notice anything unusual. I do not see any coolant dripping under the engine, but maybe I am not looking in the right places. Also, it has not stopped raining for the last month so everything is constantly wet anyway.

My questions are: Most importantly, how do I verify whether I have a leak? Where precisely do I look for leaks? How quickly does a head leak drain coolant? If I do have a head leak, what next? The vanagon web page talks about a type of leak that just produce lots of vapor which can occasionally be remedied by retorquing heads. Should I try this? Are there more specific archive addresses that I should review?

Also, thanks for the advice of many that directed me to taking my newly replaced but still leaking rear heater core back to the repair shop. Sure enough the oring was crimped and had to be replaced.

Appreciate the help Jeff Hartman Juneau,AK jhartman@ptialaska.net Jeff Hartman