Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:30:30 -0500
From:         "Rick Sherrod (hopeless VW nut)" <kdf_cars@MYLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: '85 Westy shifting problem

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 18:30:41 -0500 From: Cary Chiang <ehoward1@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU> Subject: '85 Westy shifting problem

>Howdy! > I am having difficulty in shifting into 1st gear of my '85 Westy with 88k >miles. It seems to help if I push down slightly on the shift lever (sort >of like when going into reverse), otherwise I tend to get 3rd gear instead. >Shifting into other gears is okay. The previous owner apparently just got >used to it, but I would rather fix it and the Bentley manual doesn't seem >to address this problem directly. Anybody have suggestions? TIA!!

>chiang1@usa.net

Hiya, Cary.

You are most likely experiencing "play" in your shifter. The play can come from many places in the shifter system. The easiest to check is the front shifter bushings. Grab the shifter knob firmly in your hand and twist the shifter right and left quickly. Don't twist hard enough to unscrew the knob, mind you, and notice whether the knob is allowed to twist at all. If you feel a little twist, replace those pesky front shifter bushings. They are the exact same as the ones in the Rabbit, Cabriolet, and Scirocco. They look like little top hats and come in white or black plastic. It doesn't matter which ones you use. Make sure to use some type of lubrication like grease or thick gear oil while you install the new ones. Replacement is done under the front after removing the spare tire and shifter rod guard (black metal box held on with 4 10mm headed bolts). Remember, the little bit of twist play you feel with your hand in this test translates into a hefty bit when you're stirring that stick while changing gears.

Stiffness is also a very common problem on the vans. It is a shame, too, because it is so simple to remedy. Simply get a small grease gun with a needle attachment from Pep Boys, find your center shifter bushings (the rod slides through them), and inject some grease between the rod and the bushing, trapping the grease inside the bushing making it a self-lubricating bushing for about two years. VERY REWARDING!! The simple act of lubing the center shifter bushings can make a seemingly tired Vanagon feel the way it is supposed to. Grease is a wonderful thing.

More excess play in the shifter system can be found at the tranny. There is a shifter cup and ball at the transmission shifter lever (stick your head under there and see for yourself). This cup is made of aluminum and has a nasty tendency to wear completely through at about 100K mi. The cup can also have play on the shifter rod as well which will cause severe shifting problems. Before it wears through it will cause lots and lots of missed gears and 1st gear hunting at stoplights. When replacing the cup it is best to replace the ball lever on the tranny, and the dust boot since they wear each other down as a result of sand contamination and lack of lube. The dust boot prevents both of these conditions. Use lots of grease when replacing these parts, just don't make the boot slippery on the outside of the cup.

Try these quick and easy chores on your Vanagon and enjoy it being like new again.

Questions/comments? Rick Sherrod Macon,Ga 81 Ex-Diesel V6 Vanagon (still waiting for 3.1 liter)