Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:03:51 -0700
From:         Chris & Aimee <uzzi@AIMNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Where to travel in the US
Comments: To: Christopher Low <chrilow@enoreo.on.ca>

If you're coming down 101 from Oregon you are in for a great trip! 101 is beautiful all the way down to San Francisco. Then it turns into a valley run. Farmland and the likes.

Key points to hit:

(1) Coming down from Grants Pass, OR, passing through Crescent City (nice) you come to Arcata (about 150 mile from Grants Pass). Arcata is a nice little town, mostly a college town (Humbolt State). Interesting side note, in down town Arcata is a small park (in the center of town). Anyone who is familiar with the Springfield (The Simpsons) town square layout will find a strike resemblance!

(2) If you can diverge from your 101 route for a day or two, take Hwy 299 East out of Arcata into the Trinity Alps. Some of the most beautiful country in CA! Take 299 to Weaverville (about 100 miles, slow travel). From their you can head North up Hwy 3 and explore! Trinity Center and Coffee Creek are up that direction. If you can spare the time, I highly recommend this divergence!

(3) Heading South out of Arcata on 101 you will find a beautiful drive through Redwood country! Their is an off shoot road from 101 called "Avenue of the Giants". Highly recommend this detour. If you have not seen CA Redwoods, this is the place to see some of the largest trees in the world!

(4) Another divergence you might want to take is through Mendocino. It's off 101 on the coast. From their, you can either head South down Hwy 1 or head back to 101. Again, if you can spare the time, I would highly recommend taking Hwy 1 south from Mendocino all the way down to San Francisco.

(5) Further travel South on 101 will bring you through and around the Russian River area. Very nice, lots of camping off and around 101.

Those a re just a few hits along the route that I am quite familiar with. If you have any questions or want more specific details, let em know. The total distance from Grants Pass to San Francisco is around 430 miles (excluding any of the above divergences!).

Have fun and take it easy!

Chris

At 09:18 PM 10/15/97 EDT, you wrote: >HI C&A: > >Yup. > >WE want to do Hwy 101, see the redwoods. >Any other suggestions? > >C&M > >> From: Chris & Aimee Uzzi <uzzi@aimnet.com> >> To: Christopher Low <chrilow@enoreo.on.ca>, Vanagon@gerry.sdsc.edu >> Subject: Re: Where to travel in the US >> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:23:15 :0700 >> >> >> Will you be traveling through California? If so, I have many >> recommendations. If not, I highly recommend that you do! While your at it >> Oregon and Washington aren't so bad either!!! ;-) >> >> Chris >> >> At 09:42 AM 10/14/97 EDT, Christopher Low wrote: >> >Howdy! >> > >> >We are ready to take our Eurobago on a 3-6 month trip through the States (we >> >are from Canada eh). Thought you might like to tell us "Where to go." Our >> >main interest is Nature. >> > >> >WANTED: >> > >> >*Hikes (day) >> >*Drives >> >*Places not to missed >> > >> >Thanks >> > >> >Marion and Chris >> >1995 EB and the fridge still works. >> > >> > >> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ >> Chris & Aimee Uzzi >> uzzi@aimnet.com >> http://www.aimnet.com/~uzzi/ >> '90 Westy >> '72 Westy (deceased) > > > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris & Aimee Uzzi uzzi@aimnet.com http://web.yahoo.com/cu/uzzi/ '90 Westy '72 Westy (deceased)