Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:49:39 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hot Water Heater
Comments: To: PACO <"PACO @ 28th (PACO)%New York Media Group"@MCIMAIL.COM>

I got several responses to my post re Dave Garth's ingenious water heater design asking for more info. Since my initial post, i got the parts together and actually "installed" or built a replica of Dave's heater. I tested it last night when i drove from my place near the ocean in san francisco to the san francisco airport...20 minutes away. when i got to the airport, i turned on the faucet and washed my hands and face with ... really nice hot water.

I tapped into the heater hoses with tees under the rear heater box. i rane one line into a 24 volt ac selonoid valve, which fits under the rear heater box. from there, i ran 1/4" copper tubing into the hidden utiltiy compartment and up into the water tank. I heated a 1" piece of metal pipe to burn 1" holes in the top of the tank to run the 1/4" line. i used rubber gromets to seal the pipe and holes....got larger ones to protect the palstic from heat. i then coiled 15' of 1/4" copper tubing and inserted it into the tank. it did not take up much room at all.

i moved the water level gauge from the tank lid to the tank where it is out of the way (it's nicer there) i used 90 degree flared elbows at the top of the tank to connect the submeresed coil to the feed and return lines running from the heater hoses. i insulated the lines where i thought appropriate to protect from burns and to protect wiring.

i hooked up a main power switch for the selonoid valve. this, in turn, is hooked up to the water bed thermostat. if the water temp is below 105 degrees, the therrmostat allows power to flow to the selonoid valve,which causes the valve to open, and the coolant to flow. when the temp reaches about 108 degrees, the thermostat cuts off power to the valve, and the coolant flow stops so that it does not become dangerously hot.

i have not field tested the set up yet. i want to add a copper heating coil that i can place on the stove to heat water when stationary...does anyone know wheter i can use thermal siphoning to circulate water from the water tank through a copper coil on the stove and back into the water tank, or do i need to use a pump?

a parts list follows. feel free to e-mail if you need more info.

steve... '90 syncro westy

i ended up using compression fittings and flared fittings. i used both because i could not find everything i needed in either type. i used the following:

two 1/2" brass tees with compression fittings to tap into the heater hoses at rear heater;

two 1/2" to 3/8" reducers with compression fittings

one 3/8" flared to 1/2" pipe threaded fitting, which bolts into the selonoid valve;

one 1/2" threaded pipe to 3/8" flared fitting, which bolts on other side of selonoid; one 3/8" flared to 1/4" flared reducer ____________ one 3/8" to 1/4" flared reducer (for the return line) ________________ 4 1/4" flare nuts 2 3/8" fare nuts _____________

25' of 1/4" copper tubing 18" of 3/8" copper tubing 1' of 1/2" inch copper tubing _____________________

one high temperature selenoid valve (1a582) and 24 volt AC selenoid from Grangier (800-225-5994) for $98 total. __________ -one waterbed thermostat (get a mechanical one...not electronic like i did) -rubber gromets for sealing water tank where coolant lines enter and exit -one lighted electrical switch -in line fuse -sealed (not loose) pipe insulation -pipe joint goop