Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:47:14 -0400
From:         Marcus Elia <jdeck@TRENTU.CA>
Subject:      84 digijet misfiring!?

My first Vanagon list message... (am I supposed to feel nervous? 'cause I do, for some reason.) Well, hello everyone, I've been reading up on the archive to see if I could find an experience identical to mine, but decided to post a message anyway. If anyone knows of a helpful thread I can refer to, or has had a similar problem, please help me! I treat my van so nice, why does she do this to me... Here's the rub:

Dela, our '84 Westy, has a problem with highway driving. We drove all the way from Ontario to Alberta and back last summer without a single occurence of this problem but it has come on fast and furious in the past three months. After about an hour of driving, at about 85-90 km/h (I'm a gas miser, what can I say) the engine will begin to misfire, the bucking increasing in pitch and fervour the farther I go. I wish I had a tach, but I estimate that the problem occurs mostly at about 2500-3000 rpm. One band-aid solution, which makes me think it may be a fuel-delivery problem, is gas-line antifreeze or 'injector treatment'. Crude, but gets the family home. The problem happens in dry weather and wet. I use only 92-octane fuel. I've replaced O2 sensor, cap&rotor, ig.wires, fuel filter, lots of stuff but the problem WON'T GO AWAY.

Do you sense my frustration? Help! Thanks in advance...

Marcus Elia