Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:20:16 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Hot Water Heater Caution
Comments: To: Dan Fleming <ddf@PACBELL.NET>

Dan:

i agree that caution must be used in Dave Garth's hot water set up i copied. I do not use the water supply for drinking, though, but not because I am concerned about leaks. there are no joints in the copper pipe anywhere inside the water tank, so leakage is a very remote risk...i.e. the pipe would have to be defective. i never used the water tank for drinking ..it tastes like plastic...

the more immediate risk is burns... if you do not use a thermostat or do not test the set up to make sure it works, you could get badly burned because the coolant will heat the water to very high tempertures. also, you must be vey careful when making all of the connections in the coolant lines. shoddy work can lead to a leak or worse, which can cause burns when the coolant is very hot and under pressure. BUT, the hardware i used is far more secure than simple heater hoses.... copper tubing with flare/compression connections can handle a lot more than stock heater hoses can...

anyway, thanks for the caution...i forgot to include it.

steve...