Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Nov 1997 05:16:26 -0800
From:         "CARVER, JEFFREY D" <Jeffrey.Carver@AEROJET.COM>
Subject:      '80 No Compression #3
Comments: To: Type2 <type2@bigkitty.azaccess.com>

Well the bus has been running a little weak for a couple of weeks now. Checked the records and see that it's due for a tune-up.

'80 CA Vanagon, all it appears to need is a change of plugs, cap & rotor, time it. That's it.

Did the above and no improvement to the condition. I heard an exhaust leak, removed the lower tin, and didn't find anything out of order. Felt like the timing was off or not advancing.

Got out the timing light, vacuum gauge, specs (thanks Jim) for advance info. Everything again is in order.

For no apparent reason, got out the compression tester. #2 = 120,good; #1 = 90, uh-oh; #4 = 110, ok, #3 = 20 WHAT DID THAT SAY 20 psi ! ! ! ! ! !

Check it a few times, still 20 psi, add some oil, still 20.

OK time to check valves (hydraulic). Adjust to proper tension, lifters feel ok, nice and tight.

Compression drops to ZERO and goes nowhere. Adjust valves again, same result. Remove rocker arm, still ZERO compression! a r r g h h ! !

Methinks the exhaust leak I heard is the exhaust valve whistling through itself! Confirmation please? Burned hole between valve and head = no compression.

The problem with these highpowered Vanagons (chuckle) is that even on three cylinders, I can still get to 65 mph, it just took longer.

If this diagnosis is correct, and I need a new head, I s'pose I should do both heads. Just when I saved enough pennies to get the suspension in the truck fixed! Looks like the Subaru won't be on the real market for awhile.

- Jeff Iwanna21/23windowsunroofDeluxe! '80 Westi(2) '67 Sqbk '64 Ford Crewcab '87 Subaru 4WD (4 Sale) '97 Nissan Quest Grass Valley, California, USA Jeffrey.Carver@Aerojet.com