Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:06:29 -0800
From:         Denys Mueller <Denys@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      Speedo Saga
Comments: cc: orders@europarts-sd.com

Hi all,

Thought I'd share with you my speedo troubleshooting saga. Maybe someone can use it.

It all started after a 4+ hour trip when the speedometer stopped working. At first I thought the cable had fallen off the back of the speedometer since the previous owner had broken the connector. I believed this because the way the speedo stopped working. As I was leaving a gas station the speedo started fine up to 30 mph, then bounced once and died.

I immediately checked to see of the cable had fallen off. Nope! Was the cable turning, again nope. That led me to believe the cable had broken, but that seemed strange since I never heard any speedo cable noise.

Upon returning home I diconnected the upper cable from the O2 Sensor Mileage Meter and attached a drill motor - the upper one turned fine. I performed the same test to the lower cable - it turned too! Hum!?!?!?!

This led me to think it was the O2 Sensor Mileage Meter. I checked it and it operated fine. Hum!!!!!! I checked the slack in both cables to see if it was disengaging. Upon closer inspection I noted the end of the upper cable which mates with the O2 Sensor Mileage Meter was slightly rounded. Ah, Ha, the problem! Nope - replaced the upper cable and retested the cable and speedo combo - it worked fine.

So why was the speedo still not working?!?! I then checked to make sure the lower cable was engaging with the wheel properly. Yes it was - the cable turned when the wheel turned! Then I reattached the drill motor to the end of the lower cable where it mates with the O2 Sensor box - it turned fine - visual observation at wheel bearing cap.

So now what? Remove lower cable and test. It turned fine when turned from the O2 Sensor mating end - visual observation of other end of cable.

Now the clincher - when you turned it from the wheel bearing cap end the fitting spun on the cable - in other words the crimping of the end piece had given way, thus no grip on the cable itself.

Solution: replace the lower cable!

Moral: Visually inspect all the parts carefully and validate your tests!

Luckily I wasn't troubleshooting an ECU problem, I'd be broken. :)

Cheers, Denys ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Denys Mueller Murrieta, CA 1986 VW Westy - BCHMOTL PO '80 & '89 Westys'

"I've always wanted to be something when I grew up... Guess I should have been more specific" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~