Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 1997 09:35:19 -0900
From:         Chris Wyatt2 <syncro@GI.ALASKA.EDU>
Subject:      '87 Syncro GL Oil Purge

Hi everybody,

I had a rather disconcerting experience with my van a couple of weeks ago.

We were at Arctic Circle Hot Springs, about 130 miles from Faribanks, and it got down to -15 degrees F at night. I managed to plug in the engine pre-heaters for about 45 minutes before starting it the next morning, but I don't think the lodge's generator was putting out 110 volts. So it was essentially started cold at -15 F.

It started as well as it ever does at that temperature, with few groans and whines, and I let it run for about 20 minutes. Then my friend burst into the cabin and said, "Chris, you'd better come have a look at this".

There was a large puddle of motor oil on the snow beneath the oil filter. There was no dripping observed, as I kicked some fresh snow onto the stain to reveal any drips. The oil warning light was not on, and I shut down the motor. I checked the oil after a few minutes, and it was perhaps 1/8" below the LOW mark on the dip stick. I added about 3/4 quart, and restarted it. It ran fine, and no new drips were observed.

The leak originated in the vicinity of the oil filter. I could not tell if it came from the filter connection, or from the box on which it mounts (is that on oil cooler?).

We loaded up and drove 8 miles to Central, the last gas between there and town, and the oil level was fine there, still no dripping. Had a pleasant drive home on the Steese Highway, and it has not leaked since.

Can you suggest what might have happened to cause a temporary, severe oil leak, that healed itself?

Perhaps a seal had contracted in the cold, allowed the leak upon starting, then refilled the void after it warmed up. It has 10w30 Mobil1 synthetic in the crankcase. But which one?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Chris Wyatt '87 Syncro GL Fairbanks, Alaska