Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:45:14 -0500
From:         DAPrescott@AOL.COM
Subject:      Gas in Crankcase

Greetings all, Its great to have the list back. I realize now how much I learn form you all, and how much I enjoy your (collective) company!

Last week, I was driving along (84 wasserboxer, 174K) when I seemed to lose power -- no bad, bad noticeable. On the way home that evening, it got worse. Tremendous clouds of blue smoke folowed me home as I limped along, nearly powerless.

Surveyed the situation and found my oil full of gas. Somehow fuel had found its way down there. The now very thin oil/gas mix found its way back up into the pistons, and was (only partially) being burned as fuel. Parking on the driveway indicated additional oil where it shouldn't be -- in the exhaust system, leaking out at flange coupling.

I've drained the offensive cocktail, replaced the oil and filter and have driven it over short distances a few times since. The only problem seems to be the residual burning off of oil that's where it sholdn't be. Oh, and a very small droplet of coolant hanging from the tin by the oil filter after the van sat a few days.

The questions: What happened? How much am I pushing my luck? What other info can I give to shed more light on the problem?

I have no idea of work done (not done) by the DPO, with whom I have no way to contact. I've had the van since 115K, and this is the first really serious problem.

I'd appreciate any words of wisdom. TIA

Doug 84 GL daily driver, 174K (The Blue Cloud?) 84 Westy, 74K