Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Nov 1997 22:46:54 -0500
From:         averill@LDL.NET
Subject:      Pulsing Idle- Digijet

Sam Scholten <vwvanagon@YAHOO.COM> Writes: Hey volks,

Great to be back.

While my '84 is out of commission as I try to find out what thing is grounding out behind the dashboard, the bus also has a little engine quirk that I might want to sort out before Grey Gus the Volkswagen Bus hits the streets again. (Incidentally, thanks, Joel and Ken, for the electrical advice. I'll post my findings- inevitably, someone else will have this problem; I've got a feeling about that.)

As the engine warms up, it sounds like I'm lightly revving it once per second. As I have an automatic transmission, it does this when idling in Park or Neutral as well as coasting in Drive at low speeds. Otherwise, the engine runs GREAT- easy, instant startup, no hesitation, plenty of power for a Wasserboxer, no misfiring, etc. I'm almost scared to mess with it for that reason. The exhaust looks fine- no oil or coolant, and it doesn't look like I'm running rich. The 1.9 does guzzle gas, but I chalk this up to the auto tranny.

I just need to know if this is something that can be ignored or if this indicates a large problem somewhere. As always, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Sam

I had the same pulsing engine at idle. The mechanic found that the vacuum line connectors were leaking and causing the problem. You might check to see if yours are in need of replacement.

George ( Columbus, GA)