Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Dec 1997 04:12:29 UT
From:         Tom Brunson <TABRUN@CLASSIC.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Leaking Clutch Master Cylinder Help Needed
Comments: To: Jack Newton <johnn@TRIODE.NET.AU>

Jack,

It's probably too late - since you already started removing the dash - but you actually can replace the clutch master cylinder without removing the dash. I just replaced one on my '91.

The clutch cylinder is located low - close to the floor - "behind" (OK, to the front of the car) the pedals. Look there and you'll find two bolt heads, one above the other, facing you. These hold the master cylinder. Remove the bolts and you can work the cylinder free - without even removing the hoses. (Wait 'till you are ready to install the new one - less leakage.)

The pushrod operating the cylinder comes straight down from above - but it isn't attached to the cylinder, so you can just pull the cylinder off of it - then work by feel to guide the pushrod into the boot of the new master cylinder, as you work it into place after attaching the hoses.

Before doing this pull the fluid out of the reservoir, peel back the carpeting, and have a flat pan and lots of rags to catch the fluid from the hoses that will leak out when you disconnect.

After buttoning up the new one you may find bleeding the air out of the lines isn't easy. The clutch lines are so big that an air bubble will want to stay at the master cylinder instead of "washing" down. Once you pump enough through to get clean fluid to the rear try several light partial presses of the pedal. That allowed the last bubbles to work upward through the cylinder to the reservoir when I tried it.

Tom Austin, TX