Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Nov 1997 21:07:49 -0800
From:         "Steven X. Schwenk" <sxs@CONCENTRIC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Binding when turning (syncro)

Back a month or so ago i posted a plea for help when i noticed that my 90 syncro westy was binding much more than "normal" when i made very tight turns, like turning around in a parking lot. It seemed to really bind....and the vehicle would not roll. i noticed this after a long hot drive...something certainly seemed to be wrong.

i got numerous replies...some pronouncing my VC dead. most advised to check tire sizes, which i did....and to my surprise, one front tire had slightly more tread than the other...since, as i now remember....i hit a bolt in the road and had to replace one tire soon after i got the set. Anyway, i put on four new tires since the old ones had over 40,000 miles on them. i also had the cv joints lubed and the van aligned at the porshe/vw dealer (they are the only ones who get it right)

the problem seems to be gone. there is almost no binding when turning tightly now, not even the amount that i used to consider "normal." in fact, there is so little, or seemed to be none, that i was concerned that the vc was not working...but then i took it out in about 14" of snow....and oh yes....those front wheels were turning just fine...

my guess is that it was the tires...i do not know what lubing the cv joints would have to do with it since this was just routine maitenance and they seemed to be working fine. i only hope the problem is gone for good. the real test will be how it behaves after 5 hours on the road when its 90 degrees out.

thanks to all who responded to my initial post.

steve... '90 syncro westy