Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:00:20 +0200
From:         Coconis <coconis@HOL.GR>
Subject:      Re: minor idle problem when cold
Comments: To: Mark Schrope <mschrope@VIMS.EDU>

From experience I can tell that the reason may be an automatic choke failure (if your carburettor has an automatic choke element).

How to check: Remove the air cleaner and check that the choke butterfly is closed when the engine is cold, and fully open when the engine reaches normal operating temperature. There is no way of repairing the choke other than renewing the faulty parts. However, you can delay the replacement by slightly loosening the screws and turning the automatic choke element cap up to the lower indicator. If this corrects the situation, then you have some extra time, otherwise it must be replaced (in Greece it costs approx. $20).

Regards

Yannis I Coconis 83 VW Camper

---------- > From: Mark Schrope <mschrope@VIMS.EDU> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: minor idle problem when cold > Date: 28 Οκτωβρίου 1997 17:05 > > This problem has existed to some extent since I got my 89 Wolfsburg in > December but seems to have gotten a little worse recently. The van will > start right up in any temperature (any temperature that Virginia has to > offer) but if I don't give it any gas it cuts right out. If I do give > it some gas it will usually cut out while backing out of the driveway or > after pulling forward. Once the engine is warmed up for the first time > in the morning the problem disappears. This is certainly not a big deal > but I am just curious if it is an indicator of some problem that may get > worse in time. Any tips would be appreciated. I didn't find any > problem like this described in the archives but I'm sure I could have > missed it. > > Mark Schrope