Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Nov 1997 17:36:23 -0900
From:         turinsky@JUNO.COM
Subject:      Neu Syncro Westie. We be SYNCRONAUTS!
Comments: To: SyncroHead@aol.com, JWALKER@UA1VM.UA.EDU

Jim and various Volks,

Thanks for your response (since we won't be mud boggin' I guess we won't need a locking diff), and setting me straight on my new designation. It feels good to now be part of the band after more than two years of searching.

Now we'd like to know what the secret Vanagon protocol is whilst meeting other Vanagon drivers traveling the opposite direction. Is there a special, secret wave, handshake, wink, or nod we need to know about? We've looked in the Owner's manual, but didn't see any references about it. Need to be clued-in on any regional differences too. Don't want to be sendin' the wrong signal in the wrong part of the world, ya know. :-)

So, after nearly giving up on our nation-wide search for the elusive syncro westy (met several unscrupulous fellows along the way) we spotted this gem about 3 weeks ago. With a surge of adrenaline and high hopes I contacted the owners. The search, that led me from one coast to the other, I felt, was about to end; a mere 20 some miles from HQ! And it did.

The owners said they'd never considered selling before, but invited me out for coffee anyways. So, the dogs and I drove the 20 some miles. And what a sight! This little honey's been garaged the entire time. The stove and 'fridge were still in plastic and foam! I mean, the little ice cube trays were still in bags. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief! Anyway, we rounded up our dough and headed out to the farmstead last wednesday to do the trade. The PO's, both in their mid-80's, padded the deal with homemade fudge for the ride back home. They let it go for low book 'cause we, "are such nice kids, and we really don't need the money". Sweet folks they are.

One of the conditions of sale, they said, is to provide them with periodic trip reports. OK!

I couldn't have done it without THE List though! As a lurker and occasional poster (question asker) the List provided me with a comprehensive resource over the past two years. I was able to know exactly what problems, options, conditions, etc. to look for! If it wasn't for The List I would've gotten sucked up by one of the sharks out there ready to sell me an 1983.5 "Singkro-StuperCamper-Wood burner-Conversion" for $27,000. I think I met most of them. I'm just laughing now...

Now, that we've got the dream machine home I've got a few things to do to it:

Rust proofing - probably Wax-oil brand (recommendations?) Winter tires - with my own special studding job (Not sure what type winter tire, I'll go to the archives) My own Interior/exterior detail job Fix a small tear on the passenger door vinyl (HOW?) One piece floor mat (Where to order?) Change to synthetic oil Headbolt (Oilpan?) heater Rig up a baby-gate to keep the dogs in the back

Here are our stats (s'pose Joel Walker needs 'em too):

Kevin & Michelle Turinsky (No longer lurking wanna busers) Anchorage, AK '89 Syncro Westy, 18K---REALLY! 2 Mutts 1 Cat Lots o' skis

One question about The List: Since The List switched servers, I am a little confused as to the correct address to post to. Oh, and what about a List sticker too?

Thanks, Bye-Bye

Kevin...turinsky@juno.com "Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska"