Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 13 Dec 1997 18:04:04 EST
From:         KENWILFY <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Replacing hose on right side

Have any of you had to replace that piece of 3 inch hose that connects a metal pipe that comes out of the waterpump to a curved piece of pipe that goes into the right head? What a nightmare. I thought, "Oh this will be easy." Wrong. Replacing this hose is probably one of the hardest hoses on the van. I started noticing some sweet-smelling fragrance coming from the rear of the van last week. Hesistated to look but figured I had to since we were going to take the van to Georgia over the holidays and it needed to be ready for the trip. Prayed and then opened the lid. The prayer were answered, not a head problem or a waterpump, but a small hose. Got a bucket for coolant to drain into. Took it apart (with some difficulty). A couple gallons of coolant will drain out. (messing with anitfreeze in the winter is a misnomer. You hands sure do freeze!) You have to remove the curved piece of pipe from the head, then you can get the rubber hose off (or you could cut it off, but then you couldn't get another piece on anyway). Puting it back together is more tricky. Got another piece of hose for free at FLAPS (I think they felt sorry for me when I told them it was for a Vanagon). Then I put the hose on the curved pipe. Don't tighten the clamps! Keep them loose so you can make adjustments as neccesary. Push pipe and hose in from the front and back behind another pipe to the right. Now you have enough room to try and squish the hose onto the pipe from the waterpump. This pipe has a little stud sticking out from it so you can't push the hose on too far and get it up against the flywheel, so push it on as far as it will go. Now is the best time to really put the RTV on. When I did it earlier it smeared all over my hands while trying to push things together. Now you have just enough room to get your finger in there so smear it on both surfaces. Then start pushing the curved pipe into the little hose and it should come around and line up with the studs. Put the nuts back on and tighten them. Now tighten the hose clamps (I had to use a rachet with a really small socket). Viola. Now put all the coolant back in, and go through the air bleeding process and you are done. It sounds alot easier than it is and it took me over an hour fiddling around until I finally figured out how to put it on correctly. So learn from my mistakes and keep those vans rollin'. Ken Wilford John 3:16 PS this should probably be archived for later reference.