Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 1997 21:58:53 -0800
From:         Marilyn Nelson-Ehret <ehretrm@SEANET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Conversion Commotion

At 09:24 PM 12/11/97 -0500, you wrote: >Hi Volks, > I see many posts about converting waterboxer vanagons to other forms >of power plants and I'd like to put my 2 cents worth in on the subject. >I'll probably get flamed for this but here goes. First, the boxer motor >is a fine engine. Proper maintaince is the key. (as it is with all >thing mechanical). Many of the problems with coolant leaks, IMHO, is >VW's own fault. They tell the owners that the coolant system needs no >maintance for 100K miles. I don't care who sells the product, green >coolant needs to be flushed every 2 years or 24K miles. (the new red is >said to go 100K) As the coolant runs through the system and with time, >it starts to turn acidic. Cast iron can withstand that type of coolant >alot longer than aluminum can. This is also when deposits build up and >concentrates the acidic coolant. (right at the mating surfaces of >those boxer heads) Subaru's used to have the same problem, they just >figured out how to fix it. I remember subaru's needing headgaskets >about every 50K miles. I guess VW figured it wasn't worth the trouble >to fix the leaking problem considering the relative low production >numbers of the Boxer engines. Many other countrys got in-line 4 >cyclinder engines (SA) or continued air-cooling much later than the US >did. Anyone who has had experience with the boxer engine knows, many of >the parts are direct from the realiable old Type 1 engine. Oil pump, >cam, rocker arms and valve covers. Even the crank is nearly identical. >Now many know how well the old type 1 engine held up to stress. So it >watercooled cousin can hold up as well. Keep that coolant clean and >you'll enjoy many years of trouble free driving. > As an owner of a conversion vanagon (diesel to gas) I cannot look down >my nose at anyone who wishes to do the same. However, the one thing >that bothers me is trying to install a non-VW engine. Now, many have >and will convert their bus to Subagons, Vanachevys or Porschnagon >there's not much I can do about that. But let me say this, when you >deciede to sell that bus, for whatever reason, the value of the bus will >probably be less than one in similar condition with a stock motor. >Many people will see the conversion and pass because its a hybrid and >will not want the headaches. Plus the next owner will not have the >advantage you have knowing what is in the bus. This will make it >difficult to obtain parts and service. Many of those conversions need >special fabricated parts, and what if they break on the new owner? >Cost is another factor, I've seen the Porshe conversion cost nearly >10,000 dollars (with the price of the motor and kit). I can rebuild a >waterboxer about 5 times for that price. Even if you get 80K miles out >of each boxer motor thats about 400,000 miles. With an average of 12K a >year, the bus will be 33 years older by then. I don't think many buses >will be road worthy at that point. Hey, you never know, lota splittys >still out there. > Your saying, well 'I plan on keeping this bus until its not worth >fixing'. If you keep that bus until its dead, great. But what about >servicing it yourself? Now you have to know how to work on a Subaru as >well as a VW. Then you have to go over to subaru to buy engine parts >and back to VW to buy the rest. Lots of extra time wasted. Don't even >think of bring it to a dealer for service, they'll laugh you out of the >shop. (many smaller shops will too) So now you have to do ALL the work. >Maybe for you thats fine too. It might get old after a while. > I guess what I'm saying is stick with what you got. Or as least keep >it VW. My bus looks stock and all the parts come right from >Volkswagen. So replacements are easy to get. > I'll step off my soapbox now. You may return to your lives. Thanks for >the time, take care. >-- > Happy Holidays!! > > -Jim Digennaro >--------------------------------------------------------------------- > LiMBO, The Late Model Bus Organization, international > zzzzzzzzzzzzz_ > |E[__][__]|[_]\\ > '82 Westfaila 'GTi' | _ LiMBO| _ || 'The VW DJ' > '82 Lil Red Rabbit (Wife's) =-( )------( )-== >James Digennaro, LiMBO Treasurer, Merchandise sales and Webmaster. >20 First St >Adams, MA 01220 URL: http://www.bcn.net/~limbo/ >LiMBO LINE: (413) 743-1814 > 'Transporters By The Tunnel' > A fun camping event held in July >--------------------------------------------------------------------- >Jim, your comments were interesting to say the least. I too, until reading your soapbox item, thought that it is OK not to change coolant per VW. This doesn't make much sense to me because nothing lasts forever, however I bought VW "don't need to change coolant". However, with 125,000 miles on my 90 Syncro Westy, I,m going to change coolant this weekend. Is it necessary to use the phosphate-free antifreeze? Will the regular brand of coolant, ie Prestone, Prime, work OK? Should I follow Bentley manual for R&R. Thanks, Roger Ehret, Gig Harbor, WA (Limbo member) >,