Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Dec 1997 21:58:55 -0800
From:         Marilyn Nelson-Ehret <ehretrm@SEANET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires (for snow) & leak is OK now!

At 04:36 PM 12/11/97 -0900, you wrote: >Hi Volks, > >OK, got the news today. The coolant "leak" turned out to be a non >issue...practically. It's just that the vehicle's "old", hasn't been used >and had been sitting around for so long. Now it's just getting some >exercise. > >Anyway, you Volks from the List came to my rescue and prevented me from >actually HAVING a cow! After reading your words of wisdom, I stopped >hyperventilating just when the EMT's showed up with the crash cart. So, >I've had the local Waterboxer wizard examine the thing. He determined >it's just old age and a seal, like many of you said. Current project: >replace hoses and belts. I'll be in the garage after this. > >Next issue: TIRES! > >I've read lots of the recommendations, but I've not seen anything on >these in the archives. I'm going to run 27x8.5x14's on my Syncro. So, I >began looking for a studable tire in that size. The commercial studded >tires the shops around here want to sell me are just plain silly! Now the >BFG AT/TA does have some large areas of rubber that I could sink some >studs into. They're a serious contender. However, I discovered that >YOKOHAMA makes the SuperDigger III (Y826) in the 27x8.5x14 size: >basically it's a mud type tire, ya know with solid rubber blocks, no >sipes(sp). Now, I've been running a set of these, which I studded >myself(250 studs per tire in a repeated, diagonal pattern), on my Montero >for 4 seasons now; and they're fantastic. I can stop when I want to. I'm >mobile during freezing rain, and after the typical thaw/freeze that >happens every February. It's like driving around on dry pavement. (I know >I'll catch hell from some of you out there for tearing up the streets - >so don't bother) So, I'm wondering what you all think about this setup >before I place the non refundable order for a full set. BFG provides an >outside diameter measurement for the BFG AT/TA's. I haven't been able to >find that measurement for the Yokohamas. Do ya think they'll fit OK? Are >all 27x8.5x14's the same size? > >Oh List, please hear and consider my query good. > >Thanks again for relieving my Newbie panic! (Probably won't be the first >time) Feelin' better now. >Kevin...turinsky@juno.com >"Anchored, down in Anchorage---Alaska" > Kevin, I'm running 27/850R-14/6 XRT (Les Schwab brand which I believe is available in Anchorage) on my 90 Syncro Westy. They are fairly quiet and provide good traction in snow. I also have cable chains for all 4 tires, but have never had to use them, even on steep snow grades. You may be disappointed with the aggressive mud tread as it's noisy and rougher ride. I have them on my 4X4 pickup. I consistantly carry 48-50 psi in the Syncro tires. Roger Ehret, Gig Harbor, WA