Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Dec 1997 17:42:34 -0800
From:         "Peter W. Stein" <pwstein@WENET.NET>
Subject:      Water injection and long term damage

Hello listees, I don't want to get into a "trash the shop" discussion, but I believe it was the ineptness of the dealer's mechanic that left my air intake snorkel unconnected and exposed. They recently did the recall work on the fuel filler tube/tank which is right next to the snorkel.

It was this physical situation that, after a huge rainstorm recently, led to my cyclone becoming totally submerged in water and said liquid lapped up into the air filter area, completely soaking the filter (and I'm sure all throttle/injection equipment farther down the line, also). I didn't know this was happening until van suddenly lurches to near stall, and acts choked or plugged, muffler heated up incredibly, and symptoms disappear when key is turned off then on again. 15 - 20 seconds later it reappears.

Facts: didn't diagnose until 6 days later, only test driven during this time replaced fouled plugs, filter dosed 1/4 tank of gas with fuel injection cleaner removed all visible moisture from air filter housing / cyclone when it ran correctly, it ran just fine

last fact... after all of the above, symptoms still exist but not as severe. (driven 5 miles)

Questions... I should pull all injection components and dry / clean, eh? Is it the computer making an adjustment when prob starts 15 - 20 sec after ignition? (warm) Do I start filing court papers? Napa employee mentioned the water prob'ly cleaned my valves, is that the wet black ink spitting from my exhaust? Should I put a bunch of miles on her to run the "cleaner" thru, or do the injection system deconstruction first?

I guess I want people to read this, so I'll stop here while you are still awake.

Thanks for any response, email or list,

Peter W. Stein "Illy" 86 Syncro Westy