Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 20:58:51 -0500
From:         Karen Olson <kdosmm@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Fw: 84 Starter/Auto Trans problem?

---------- > From: Karen Olson <kdosmm@worldnet.att.net> > To: gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu > Subject: Re: 84 Starter/Auto Trans problem? > Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 8:54 PM > > > > ---------- > > From: Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu> > > To: Karen Olson <kdosmm@worldnet.att.net> > > Subject: Re: 84 Starter/Auto Trans problem? > > Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 12:16 PM > > > > On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Karen Olson wrote: > > > With the help of this list I rebuilt my 1.9L 1984 Vanagon GL engine (my > > > first engine rebuild experience, unless you count COX gas powered model > > > airplane motors at age 13). > > > > What did you do to it? Main bearings, pistons, heads? What all did you > > replace/machine? > > > Gerry, > > I dismantled everything and checked for wear per Bentley. > > The camshaft lobes and bearings had the most visible wear. I installed a > remanufactured cam and new camshaft bearings. > > The valve lifter surfaces that mate with the camshaft lobes were also worn, > though less obviously. New ones have a slight convex surface, mine were > worn level, and I replaced them with a new set. > > I put in all new main crankshaft bearings. I had a (backwoods literally) > shop with a press remove the cam gear from the crankshaft to replace the > main bearing behind it ($7). I reinstalled the cam gear at home after > replacing that main bearing. The gear slid back on surprisingly easy after > heating it up. > > I put in new piston rod bearings and piston rings. > > I replaced the other smaller crankshaft gear (brass?) that turns the > distributor and added crankshaft shims to get crankshaft endplay within > spec (so ignition timing doesn't drift with the excess play). > > > After focusing on rebuilding anything inside the crankcase solidly, I > wanted to see if the engine would run before investing too much $ on the > heads. > > I cleaned up the heads, and removed the valves and lapped them with a Sears > Craftsman lapping tool and compound. I bought a complete engine rebuild > gasket kit that included new metal rings for between the mating surfaces of > the cylinders and the head, and o-rings that mate the cylinders with the > crankcase. > > A mechanic at VW recommended Curil K2 sealing compound (German), which I > used throughout. > > I hope this helps, > > Scott Maurer