Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Dec 1997 21:43:14 -0800
From:         "harald.nancy" <harald.nancy@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Re: Running a tranny with plastic bits

> >Dave wrote 12/1/97: > Ok, I have been agonizing over dropping the tranny on my syncro as I lost a > little plastic tip of one of those transmission fluid funnels into the tranny. > I have tried sucking the damn thing out by a number of methods and with a > number of different sized tubes but to no avail.

Before you drop the transmission, you should try the following: Go to Home Depot and buy a piece of 4 feet long 1/4" inside diameter vinyl tubing. Attach this to the end of a vacuum cleaner hose, and make an airtight connection with duct tape. To have more directional control with the little vinyl tubing, you can tape it to a 4 foot long piece of solid copper grounding wire. Now you can bend this to any shape, so you can get down there where the lost plastic tip might be. I've tried this with my vacuum, and it definitely does pick up things. You can experiment picking up similar objects with this vacuum tube. If you practice enough on a mock setup, you might catch that little thing. Keep trying. I wouldn't give up that easily. Harald '90 westy