Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Dec 1997 13:52:06 -0600
From:         Max/Joyce Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil P&T sensor - Vanagon application
Comments: To: MICHAEL PJETRAJ <michael_pjetraj@AQ.EHNR.STATE.NC.US>

mike: The op sensor switches won't interchange and you're better off getting them from the VW dealer and take the old ones in to compare pressure readings stamped on the units. Previous threads on this subject have led to the following possibilities: 1. A cheap oil filter can make the light and buzzer sound off, 2. Oil pressure relief valve sticking may cause it(my next step in solving my low op blues) or a new spring and valve or stretching the existing spring.3. Gas getting into your oil can thin the oil to create low op.(FI problems?). My VDO guage reads 70 at startup and warms up to about 8-12 at idle and 22-30 at highway speeds using Castol 10-40W. This is less than the readings I got with 20-50 this summer which kept it in the 25-32psi range at speed. I originally put this guage on to find out how shot the bearings were in my engine that has 109K on it. I'm not ready to tear it apart after just putting rebuilt heads on it. The Visa card will start leaking coolant if I do!!

Dimwitted Moose and Flying Squirrel

---------- > From: MICHAEL PJETRAJ <michael_pjetraj@AQ.EHNR.STATE.NC.US> > To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU > Subject: Oil P&T sensor - Vanagon application > Date: Wednesday, December 03, 1997 11:38 AM > > Hey all, > I'm on the air cooled list but had a question for H2O vanogons > Please respond to me, I am not on the vanogon list > Thanks! > > This question is for the Oil Temp & Pressure sensors > My boss has a 91 H2O Vanagon carat(?) > He said that his oil pressure light comes on when the engine is hot > (relative term, I know) > He doesn't have an oil temp guage, pressure gauge, nor does he know > the trigger point for the stock P sensor. > I realize this is a question more for the vanagon list (which I will > try next if I don't get answers) but I figured the applicability of > the sensors would be a general question. > So, can the same oil P & T sensors be used on a 91 vanogan that are > used on my 76 ? > Does it make sense to measure oil temp (I'd think so, but w/ H2O > cooling?) > General - if compression is good (heads have been re-done) would the > low pressure be indicative of lower end problems (bearings etc?) > > Thanks > Michael > > > > Michael - 76 T2 deluxe 'Bertha', 79 T1 conv > Bound to cover just a little more ground