Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Dec 1997 19:42:28 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes57@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: oil pressure placement and clutch
Comments: To: Mark Schrope <mschrope@VIMS.EDU>

That oil pressure of 25 psi at 2000 rpm is why you were having problems with the oil pressure warning system. It was doing its job. The high pressure sensor activates at 28 psi and if it is not made at 2500 rpm, the buzzer will sound. As for the choice of gauge sender location, the high sensor is before the filter, the low sensor is at the lowest pressure point at a center cam bearing. Normally, the pressure difference should be minimal, however, if the filter clogs, the location you are reading will show improved pressure. As such, for all the people that claim that the VW filter cures their buzzer problem as compared to the FRAM, they are actually relying on the increased flow restriction of the VW filter to mask an impending low pressure problem. Actually, the factory sensors are set a bit close to what is actually needed. Typically, 10 psi oil pressure for each 1,000 rpm is considered normal for most engines. Needing 28 psi at 2500 rpm is a bit over cautious. I've installed factory rebuilt engines that had this low pressure problem.

As for a clutch, Ron's clutch kits are as he claims and I have not found better pricing anywhere. I wonder how he makes his deals.

Dennis -----Original Message----- From: Mark Schrope <mschrope@VIMS.EDU> To: Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU <Vanagon@GERRY.SDSC.EDU> Date: Tuesday, December 02, 1997 11:27 AM Subject: oil pressure placement and clutch