Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Dec 1997 01:49:49 EST
From:         JLDilworth <JLDilworth@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Oil in intake air distributor (2.1L)

I recently bought an 86 Westy syncro with 73K miles on it. About 1200 miles before, the valves and rings were redone on the left cylinders. The PO said he had been driving along when suddenly there was a big cloud of smoke, and no compression in one cylinder. The shop that did the work said that there had been oil in the intake air plenum that had evidently caused fouling that led to burned valves. They thought they had straightened out the cause (having to do with the crankcase breather circuit), but didn't seem to completely understand it. They did inspect the plenum after the repairs and found it dry (although in retrospect I recall that the crankcase oil level was low when they made that check). They told me that after the new rings break in (which, I was told, might take a while because they used "high quality German rings, which are very hard"), oil consumption should be minimal.

Maybe it's a matter of the new rings not sealing yet (how long should it take?) but now that I've driven it another 1000 miles and had to add 3 quarts of oil, I'm feeling a little perplexed. For one thing, I have the impression that when I add oil up to the top mark on the dipstick that the level drops back to about 3/4 of the way to the low mark very quickly. Thereafter it seems to go down at a much more leisurely (and less scary) rate. But it makes me wonder if oil isn't still escaping via the crankcase breather. I could understand this happening if there were too much oil in the engine (the PO said that his episode happened shortly after an oil change at JiffyLube, and thought that it might have been over filled), but I've been careful to try not to do that. Is there something else that could cause that -- plugged oil passages or something?

If I sound a little tentative about the oil consumption rates, it's because I'm having a lot of trouble getting consistent readings from the dip stick. Compared to my old 83 (1.9L) van, this one seems very touchy. Often when I check the level it seems a little higher than it was the time before. Then next time it'll be a lot lower. Maybe it's more dependent on the vehicle being completely level, but that's not all there is to it. For example, yesterday I parked in a pretty level place, waited a minute or two and checked the oil. It was right about at the lower mark on the dipstick. Then I left it standing for about 30 minutes, and checked it again. This time it was much lower -- just above the twist on the dipstick. I would've thought it was down about 1.7 quarts, if the marks are 1 quart apart, like the book says. I also would've thought that after standing, more oil would have drained down, and the level should've been higher, not lower. With the van still in the same place I added only one half quart of oil and checked again. Now it was about 2/3 of the way up between the marks -- about a quart higher than I would've predicted. Maybe my Vanagon dipstick technique is faulty, but it seemed to work ok on the old van. I'm pretty confused.

If anyone can shed any light on any of this, I'd be greateful. Thanks.

-John