Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1997)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:39:52 -0600
From:         Tonya Pope <tonya@MSMM.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Digifant idle problems
Comments: To: Björn <bratjen@DIRECT.CA>

Bjorn:

Call me the coolant temp. sensor crusader. There are other things that I can vaguely recall from list history that can cause what you're experiencing. But, when that dern temp sensor was bad on my van, aside from the terrible loss of power after an hour of driving (i.e. telling the computer the engine was hotter than it really was), just before I replaced it I had symptoms like yours as well. I guess that it got to the point that it was telling the brain the engine was warmed up even when it was cold.

I'm sure others can point to many probable causes, and they'll probably be right. But, that stupid $12 sensor cost me a fortune in replacing other parts that mechanics thought were the problem, so I'm a bit of an evangelist when it comes to replacing that thing.

Good Luck, Tonya 87 Vanagon GL Wolfs 74 S. Beetle